What is Speech Therapy?

Speech Therapists focus on both Receptive Language which is the ability to understand words, and Expressive Language, or the ability to use words, gestures, or alternative communication in order to communicate to others. Expressive Language may be verbal but also includes using gestures, body language, sign language or other forms of communication such as a specialized communication device. Speech Therapists also focus on Articulation, or how speech is produced: pronouncing words correctly, fluency, and voice. It also deals with the mechanics of producing words, such as articulation, pitch, fluency, and volume. Speech Therapists may also evaluate and treat children or adults with feeding and swallowing disorders.

Speech-Language Pathologists also work with a variety of cognitive and pragmatic deficits that may impact communication and educational goals. Communication also includes interacting with others, socializing and using many forms of language to establish and maintain peer relationships.

When children need speech therapy, it may involve pursuing milestones that have been delayed. Some children only need help with language, others have the most problems with the mechanics of speech, and some need help with multiple facets of speech, language, and swallowing.

What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?

A Speech-Language Pathologist who is certified by The American Speech And Language Association (ASHA) should have a Master’s degree from an accredited Communication Disorders Program and should have earned their Certificate of Clinical Competency from ASHA. Speech Pathologists and Speech Therapists are two terms you may hear and are used interchangeably.

How do I know if my child needs Speech Therapy?

If you have any concerns about your child’s speech and language development or concerns about their communication skills please feel free to contact the Speech Department at the number or email below.

Helpful Links:
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association